Resources from Garden Chat Series: Gardening in Harmony With Nature
The Master Gardener℠ volunteers of Vance and Warren Counties hosted a series of FREE online learning opportunities for the gardening public. The series has concluded, but this page contains many of the resources mentioned.
Our presenters/topics included:
- Diversity in the Landscape – Sam Marshall, Horticulture Extension Agent
- Saving Seed – Heather Summer, N.C, Botanical Garden
- Birds in the Landscape – Christina Harvey, NC Audubon
- Gardening Resources from N.C. Cooperative Extension
- Rain Gardens – Dr. Helen Kraus, NC State University Horticulture Department
- Resource-Friendly Gardening – Paul McKenzie, Horticulture Extension Agent
To cap off the series, a separate final session was held, featuring three special presenters, including:
- Dr. Elsa Youngsteadt from NC State on Protecting Pollinators
- Anabel Renwick from Sarah P. Duke Gardens on Native Landscape Plants
- Dr. Walt Robinson from NC State on Climate Change Impacts on our Gardens
PARTICIPANT RESOURCES (check back, more will be added as series progresses):
- North Carolina Botanical Garden – Be sure to check out their Wildflower of the Year and their native seed distribution efforts.
- Native plants for your garden, including plant lists and other resources.
- Rare plant list from the NC Natural Heritage Program.
- Native plant resources compile by NC State Extension.
- Bird ID guide from National Audubon Society
- All About Birds from The Cornell Lab at Cornell University
- Bird Friendly Plants for NC from National Audubon Society
- Bird Sounds & Songs from The Cornell Lab
- NC State Extension Plant Toolbox
- NC Bee Identification Guide
- Garden Conservation Tips from Mt. Cuba Center
- NC Extension Gardener Handbook
- References related to Rain Gardens